You will require this licence if you intend to play or make available recorded music online. The licence you must apply for will depend on the activities you intend to undertake. The types of activities covered by these licences are either:
- services that will make $12 000 or less annually
- subscription-based interactive music services
- podcasts that are not 100% music (and are usually free for the general public)
- services that provide permanent digital copies of musical works or music videos
- looped background music for websites
- social media and user-generated content
- videos on demand.
Each licence type covers one of these activities only.
Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright.
This licence covers online music usage only. Please note that depending on the nature of your intended activity you may also be required to hold a licence with the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) or the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA).
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.