Early Childhood Education Copyright Licence - Australian Government


You may need this licence if you or your early childhood centre or educational institution plan to use music, visual works, books, magazines, journals and graphic works. The licence will cover you for all copyright requirements in your early childhood education programs.

You will need the licence if you plan to:

  • play live or recorded music
  • play music on your telephone hold system or in staff areas
  • copy CDs or digital downloads to use at your facility
  • make video recordings that contain music copy portions of books, artwork, pictures or other materials
  • share your materials with other early childhood facilities.

Please contact the responsible Agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for this licence, you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • supply your ABN / ACN (if you have one).

Please consult the Contact Officer for further details.


1 year.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Other resources

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 2017 Australian Government

Additional information

There are a few instances where the legislation allows you to use works for educational purposes without first obtaining permission. The use of the works must be for a non-profit purpose which includes but isn???t limited to:

  • performing music in a classroom during the course of instruction
  • copying works as part of the questions or answers in an exam students
  • copying works for personal research and study.

The licence does not grant you permission to:

  • share music and videos on the internet
  • copy more than 10% or one chapter of a work in a book
  • use music or other kinds of works in any advertising or marketing
  • use music at events were admission fees are charged
  • make a profit from the sale of any materials used under the licence.

Administering agency

Early Childhood Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries

Early Childhood Australia

Mailing address: Building 3
16 Mildura Street
Fyshwick, Australian Capital Territory 2609
Mailing address: PO BOX 86
Deakin West, Australian Capital Territory 2600
Toll Free: 1800 356 900
Phone: 02 6242 1800
Fax: 02 6242 1818
Website: Early Childhood Australia (Opens in new window)