Environmental impact referral assessment and approval is required for proposed controlled actions that are likely to have a significant impact on a matter of national environmental significance. An action includes a project, development, undertaking, activity, or series of activities.
The legislation currently identifies six matters of national environmental significance:
- World Heritage properties;
- Ramsar wetlands of international significance;
- Listed threatened species and ecological communities;
- Listed migratory species;
- Commonwealth marine areas; and
- Nuclear actions (including uranium mining).
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.