You will be required to comply with this standard if you operate a ship registered in Australia, or any ship in the territorial sea of Australia.
Ships to which SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) Chapter II-2 must comply with the standards for fire protection, fire detection and fire extinction set out in SOLAS Chapter II-2. Other ships must comply with the section 4 of Part C of the NSCV, the pre-2008 USL Code, or IACS Recommendation no.99, depending on when the ship was constructed.
In addition, Australian vessels must meet the following requirements. A breathing apparatus must be designed, tested and maintained to comply with:
- AS/NZS 1715:2009, Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment
- AS/NZS 1716:2012, Respiratory protective devices.
A vessel must have portable fire extinguishers of a kind and in the numbers and locations mentioned in IMO circular MSC.1/Circ.1275 Unified interpretation of SOLAS Chapter II-2 on the number and arrangement of portable fire extinguishers on board ships
Extinguishers and portable fire extinguishers must be designed constructed and tested in accordance with:
- IMO resolution A.951(23) Improved guidelines for marine portable fire extinguishers; and
- European Council Marine Equipment Directive 96/98/EC or an equivalent international or Australian standard.
All electric cables must be tested in accordance with AS/NZS 1660.5.6:2005 Test methods for electric cables, cords and conductors - Fire tests - Test for vertical flame propagation for a single insulated wire or cable.
A fire-resistant electric cable must be tested, for a flame application time of 120 minutes, in accordance with:
- If the diameter of the cable is more than 20 mm - IEC 60331-1 Ed 1.0 2009-5 Tests for electric cables under fire conditions - Circuit integrity - Part 1: Test method for fire with shock at a temperature of at least 830 ?C for cables of rated voltage up to and including 0,6/1,0 kV and with an overall diameter exceeding 20 mm; or
- If the diameter of the cable is not more than 20 mm - IEC 60331-21 Ed 1.0 1999-04 Tests for electric cables under fire conditions - Circuit integrity - Part 21: Procedures and requirements - Cables of rated voltage up to and including 0,6/1,0 kV.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.