Import Controls - Australian Government


You must apply for permission from the Australian government if you intend to import an item into Australia that has been classified as a restricted item. The approval or permit required is determined by the type of goods being exported and must be issued by the appropriate authority or agency.

If you intend to import something into Australia that falls under any of the following categories, you should review the Agency web page for instructions and clarification on how to receive permission to import:

  • Tablet presses, therapeutic drugs and substances, drugs, narcotics, kava, antibiotics, growth hormones, substances of human or animal origin and anabolic or androgenic substances
  • Goods bearing the word 'ANZAC' or an image of the Australian national, state or territory flag and coats of arms
  • Cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises), fish, tooth fish, cat and dog fur products, endangered animal and plant species
  • Unmanufactured leaf tobacco, cigarette lighters, chewing tobacco and oral snuff
  • Protrusion dog collars, incandescent lamps, laser pointers, electronic fly swatters / mosquito bats
  • Chemical weapons, explosives, firearms, weapons, ammunition, knives, daggers and crowd control equipment
  • Pencils, paintbrushes, cosmetics, toys, novelty erasers and novelty money boxes with toxic materials
  • Hazardous waste, security sensitive ammonium nitrate (SSAN), asbestos, ozone depleting substances/synthetic greenhouse gases, hydroflurocarbons (HFCs), pesticides and other hazardous chemicals, radioactive substances and polychlorinated biphenyls, terphenyls and polyphenyls
  • Counterfeit credit cards, pornography and other objectionable material
  • Goods from sanctioned Countries/Entities - Iran, Libya, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (NK) or Eritrea
  • All cultural heritage goods, Kimberley process diamonds, woolpacks, glazed ceramic ware and trade practices act goods.

Please note that not all types of each category of goods mentioned in the above list require a permission to import. However, it is recommended that you consult the Agency prior to importing any of these types of goods, as they will inform you if you require permission.

Forms and related documents are available on the Department of Immigration ad Border Protection website.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


Variable, depending on what is being imported.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Import Control Forms (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Customs Act 1901 AG

Regulation(s) name

Customs Regulation 2015 AG

Administering agency

Department of Home Affairs

Client Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

General Enquiries

Client Services

Department of Home Affairs

Operating address: 6 Chan Street
Australian Capital Territory 2617
Mailing address: PO BOX 25
Belconnen, Australian Capital Territory 2616
Phone: 02 6264 1111
Phone: 13 18 81
Fax: 02 6225 6970