Licence to Play Music in Motels and Other Accommodation Services - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you intend to play recorded music in your venue, including creating copies of music for these purposes. The types of music covered by this licence include:

  • background music in reception
  • background music in areas such as internal restaurants / dining areas
  • live music for entertaining guests (without additional tickets required)
  • telephone hold music.

You will need a separate licence if you intend to have live performances, music in functions rooms or music at an in-house gym or fitness centre open to the general public. Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright.

This licence covers the use of music in motels and other accommodation services only. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) or the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA).

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for this licence, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • supply your ABN / ACN (if you have one)
  • submit the required forms
  • pay any prescribed fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary dependant on the activity you are applying for. Please consult the responsible Agency for more information.

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 AG

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 1969 AG

Administering agency

Australasian Performing Right Association

Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society

Revenue and Licensing

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Enquiries, Licensing Services

Revenue and Licensing

Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society

Australasian Performing Right Association

Operating address: 16 Mountain Street
New South Wales 2007
Mailing address: Locked Bag 5000
Strawberry Hills
New South Wales 2012
Phone: 1300 852 388
Phone: 02 9935 7900