You will require this licence if in the operation of your business there will be performances at the premises by means of either:
- featured recorded music selected or pre-programmed by DJs
- a pre-programmed music service.
This licence may be relevant to you if you operate any of the following:
- hotel, club, motel, tavern or bar
- restaurant or cafe
- retail outlet
- health or beauty service
- fitness centre or trainer
- theatre or cinema
- corporate / business workplace
- school, university or other tertiary institution
- dance school or eisteddfod organiser
- community band, choir or performance group
- hall, ice rink, function or sports centre
- other service to the public.
Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright:
- licensing in relation to the composition, or musical work, is administered by the Australasian Performing Right Association / Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society, (APRA AMCOS)
- licensing in relation to the recording (for example, the CD or music in other formats) is administered by the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA) and the Australian Record Industry Association Limited (ARIA).
This licence covers the composition only. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with the PPCA or ARIA. It is recommended that you discuss your licensing needs with all three Agencies prior to applying.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.