Licence to Play Protected Sound Recordings or Music Videos - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you operate a business where you intend to play sound recordings (such as CDs, tapes, digital downloads) in a public place, exhibit music videos or use sound recordings for music on hold (for telephones) that are covered by copyright.

Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright:

  • Licensing in relation to the composition, or musical work, is administered by the Australasian Performing Right Association / Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society, (APRA AMCOS).
  • Licensing in relation to the recording (for example, the CD or music in other formats) is administered by the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA) and the Australian Record Industry Association Limited (ARIA).

This licence covers the sound recording only. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with APRA. It is recommended that you discuss your licensing needs with all three Agencies prior to applying.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The types of businesses that might require this licence include, but are not limited to:

  • cinemas, film exhibitors, theatres, museums, art galleries
  • dance studios, instructors and concerts, dance and drama companies, live performances
  • nightclubs, dance parties, and mobile DJs and jukebox operators
  • hotels, clubs and bars
  • factories, industrial premises and commercial offices playing music or with music on hold
  • amusement centres, pool rooms, swimming pools and ten pin bowling and skating centres
  • sports or fitness centres and health clubs and spas
  • sports arenas, outdoor racing tracks, amusement parks
  • concert venues and rooms, and conference centres
  • retail stores such as shopping centres, restaurants, cafes, hairdressers and electrical goods sellers
  • public vehicles and tour and private vehicle hire companies
  • any other commercial or professional location where music might be broadcast during operating hours.


Typically this licence is issued on an annual basis, but there is provision for one-off special licences.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 AG

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 1969 AG

Administering agency

Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Ltd

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

PPCA Licensing Team

Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Ltd

Operating address: Level 4
11 - 17 Buckingham Street
Surry Hills, New South Wales 2010
Mailing address: PO BOX Q20
Queen Victoria Building, New South Wales 1230
Phone: 02 8569 1111
Fax: 02 8569 1183
Website: Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Ltd (Opens in new window)