Licence to Play Sound Recordings or Music Videos - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you operate a business where you intend to play sound recordings (such as CDs, tapes, digital downloads) in a public place, exhibit music videos or use sound recordings for telephone on hold that are covered by copyright.

You would obtain a licence from OneMusic Australia depending on the type of business or organisation you are operating and this covers the rights of music rights management organisations in Australia.

Please see OneMusic Australia's website for details on the music licensing schemes.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The types of businesses that might require this licence include, but are not limited to:

  • cinemas, film exhibitors, theatres, museums, art galleries
  • dance studios, instructors and concerts, dance and drama companies, live performances
  • nightclubs, dance parties, and mobile DJs and jukebox operators
  • hotels, clubs and bars
  • factories, industrial premises and commercial offices playing music or with music on hold
  • amusement centres, pool rooms, swimming pools and ten pin bowling and skating centres
  • sports or fitness centres and health clubs and spas
  • sports arenas, outdoor racing tracks, amusement parks
  • concert venues and rooms, and conference centres
  • retail stores such as shopping centres, restaurants, cafes, hairdressers and electrical goods sellers
  • public vehicles and tour and private vehicle hire companies
  • any other commercial or professional location where music might be broadcast during operating hours.


Typically this licence is issued on an annual basis, but there is provision for one-off special licences.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Which Licence Do I Need? (Opens in new window)

Other resources

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 2017 Australian Government

Administering agency

Australasian Performing Right Association

OneMusic Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries

OneMusic Australia

Australasian Performing Right Association

Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 5000
Strawberry Hills, New South Wales 2012
Phone: 1300 162 162
Website: OneMusic Australia (Opens in new window)