You are required to comply with this Marine Order if you intend to operate a regulated Australian vessel, or a foreign vessel within Australian waters. The purpose of this Order is to:
- give effect to the Load Lines Convention,
- deal with certification of vessels for evidence of survey and compliance with the Load Lines Convention,
- provide for the marking of vessels,
- establish the circumstances when a vessel is overloaded,
- prescribe entries relating to load lines to be made in the official logbook of a regulated Australian vessel.
The Load Line Convention places limitations on the draught to which a ship may be loaded. It also contains safety measures concerning doors, freeing ports, hatchways and other items that are designed to ensure the watertight integrity of ships' hulls.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance that may be required.