You will require this licence if you intend to operate as a commercial pilot or as a flight radiotelephone operator on a hot air balloon. You will not require this licence if you are performing an activity essential to the operation of an Australian balloon during flight time if you:
- Are accompanied by an authorised balloon flight instructor; and
- Are receiving balloon flying training; or
- Are attempting a flight test for this licence.
Once you are a holder of this licence you can apply for the following balloon flight crew ratings:
- A flight instructor (balloon) rating; and
- A balloon grade of night Visual Flight Rules (VFR) rating.
You may also be approved to give balloon flying training for the issue of a balloon flight crew rating. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.