Certificate of Equivalence (COE) - Australian Government


You will require this certificate if you intend to work on board a ship in Australian waters that is listed in the Australian International Shipping Register, and if you are not an Australian National or Resident. You may still be employed on an International Register Vessel as a Master, Chief Mate, Chief or First Engineer if you have a foreign certificate and have a Certificate of Equivalence (COE).

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

A COE is only valid for service on ships registered in the AISR. To apply you must:

  • Hold a foreign certificate; and
  • Not qualify as an Australian National or an Australian Resident.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader, Partnership, Company, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other

Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.

Administering agency

Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Navigation Safety and International Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.


Operating address: 82 Northbourne Avenue
Australian Capital Territory 2612
Mailing address: GPO BOX 2181
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Phone: 02 6279 5664
Fax: 02 6279 5966