You will be required to comply with this standard if you operate a ship registered in Australia, or any ship in the territorial sea of Australia.
The owner of a ship has an obligation to ensure that systems, back-up arrangements, replacements and additions installed after 30 June 2002 comply with the resolutions and circulars of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) listed in Schedule 3 of Marine Order 21, issue 8.
This includes resolutions and circulars about:
- GMDSS equipment;
- Compass equipment;
- Radar equipment;
- Electric Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS);
- Positioning receiving systems;
- Steering control systems;
- Echo sounding equipment;
- Speed and distance measuring equipment;
- Automatic Identification Systems (AIS);
- Long range identification systems (AIS)
- Long range identification and tracking;
- Voyage data recorders;
- Bridge design;
- Sound reception systems; and
- Signalling equipment.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.