You will require this permit if you intend to build and operate a sea installation. A sea installation is any man made structure that is either attached to the sea floor or floating on the surface.
Types of installations include:
- floating hotels or pontoons
- floating tourist facilities
- artificial islands
- submarine power cables
- scientific and research facilities.
You will not be required to obtain a permit for:
- maritime aquaculture platforms used solely for rearing and harvesting fish, crustaceans or molluscs
- any fishing equipment or fish aggregating device used by licensed fishing vessels
- cargo ships
- vessels used for sea dumping
- licensed pearling vessels
- historic shipwrecks
- navigational aids
- resource industry fixed and movable structures such as pipelines and offshore exploration facilities
- installations that belong to the Australian Defence Force or the Defence Force of a foreign nation
- submarine telecommunications cables
- petroleum pipelines.
Certain exemption certificates may also be granted in place of a permit. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.