Tonnage Certificate - Australian Government


You will require a Tonnage Certificate if you are the operator of a regulated Australian vessel, domestic commercial vessel or a recreational vessel that has Australian nationality. Tonnage certificates outline the capacity, use of spaces, assigned load line or permitted draught on board a vessel. Any alteration to a vessel requires re-measurement.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for a Tonnage Certificate you must:

  • Fill out the required application form; and
  • Be the operator of a vessel.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader, Partnership, Company, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Navigation Safety and International Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.


Operating address: 82 Northbourne Avenue
Australian Capital Territory 2612
Mailing address: GPO BOX 2181
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Phone: 02 6279 5664
Fax: 02 6279 5966