Controlled Activity Approval - New South Wales


You will require this approval if you intend to undertake works which may impact the quantity or flow of water in a water source.

A controlled activity approval allows you to carry out a specified controlled activity at a specified location on waterfront land. Waterfront land includes the bed of any river, lake or estuary and any land within 40 meters of its mean high water mark.

Approval is required for the following activities:

  • Erecting a building or carrying out a work;
  • Removing material or vegetation from land;
  • Depositing material on land, including through landfill operations; and
  • Any other activity that affects quantity or flow of water in a water source.

Exemptions may apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for further information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for this approval you must:

  • Complete the relevant application form;
  • Provide any information required by the Agency; and
  • Pay the required fees.

The application form details further requirements. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader, Partnership, Company, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Administering agency

Department of Industry

NSW Department of Primary Industries

NSW Office of Water

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

General Enquiries, Water Licensing

Operating address: Level 10,
Macquarie Tower
New South Wales 2124
Mailing address: Locked Bag 5123
New South Wales 2124
Toll Free: 1800 353 104
Phone: 02 8281 7777
Fax: 02 8281 7799