Development Consent / Complying Development Certificate - New South Wales


You will require this approval if you intend to undertake development activities in New South Wales. This approval can be provided either through a Development Consent or a Complying Development Certificate, which cover a range of activities that include:

  • changing the use of land
  • subdividing land
  • undertaking building and construction work on public or private property (apart from public roads, which is covered by a separate approval)
  • demolition of a building or work
  • constructing a temporary entertainment structure.

Before you apply for a Development Consent or Complying Development Certificate, it is recommended that you contact Council for a Planning Certificate. This document contains important information about the property involved, such as environmental, heritage or planning restrictions.

There are three different categories of development in New South Wales:

  • Exempt Development (this includes activities such as minor, do-it-yourself, renovation work. For example, replacing the tiles in your bathroom or erecting a pre-fabricated structure such as a garden shed. Exempt development activities do not require Council approval);
  • Complying Development (if your proposed development meets the standards for a Complying Development Certificate, it can be approved through this fast tracked process. This certificate can be obtained if your proposed development meets predetermined standards. For example, maximum building height, length and width); and
  • Development Consent (more complicated development proposals must pass through the development application process).

If the development is approved under a Complying Development Certificate then the proposed work can commence. Once the work is complete, the Council will inspect the development to ensure that it has met the agreed guidelines and grant you final approval with an Occupation Certificate. Please note that building inspections may take place throughout the development process.

If the proposal is approved under a Development Application then you will not be able to commence your development until you have been issued a Construction Certificate. If Development Consent is in relation to constructing a temporary entertainment structure, you will not require a Construction Certificate before commencing. Once the work is complete, the Council will inspect the development to ensure that it has met the agreed guidelines and grant you final approval with an Occupation Certificate.

Temporary entertainment structures include tents, booths, marquees, fencing, prefabricated buildings, seating stands and stages or platforms.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for this Approval you must provide details such as the estimated cost of the proposed project, building height, access driveways, emergency evacuation plans, floor space ratios and noise management plans.

A Development Consent must also be accompanied by a statement disclosing any political donations or gifts made by any person who has a financial interest in the proposed development.

Any residential development, alterations or additions to a dwelling will also need to submit a BASIX certificate. BASIX, the Building Sustainability Index, is an interactive, web-based planning tool designed to enhance buildings with cost-effective measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, potable water consumption and improve thermal comfort.

Councils can also impose specific conditions on individual development consent applications.

Please consult directly with the Council for information on any eligibility requirements specific to your Approval.


As specified on the consent or certificate.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader, Company, Partnership, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Task Resources
Apply Development Consent / Complying Development Certificate - Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for a copy of this document.

Administering agency

Sutherland Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Duty Officer

Operating address: 4 Eton Street
NSW 2232
Mailing address: Locked Bag 17
NSW 1499
Phone: 02 9710 0333