Notification of Dangerous Goods on Premises - New South Wales


If you store, handle or process hazardous chemicals (dangerous goods) that exceed the quantities specified in the legislation, then you must notify the Authority. Hazardous chemicals include flammable liquids, skin corrosion and unstable explosives. Details of hazardous chemicals that require this notification are outlined in the associated document, or you can view them in the Regulation.

Notifying the Authority is crucial to the provision of an effective emergency response in the case of an emergency. For this reason, you are also required to develop a written emergency plan and lodge it to the relevant fire and rescue Agency.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this notification you must provide:

  • details about the type of site and who occupies the site
  • two emergency contacts
  • a list of each depot, storage or process location where there are hazardous chemicals
  • a site plan to identify the places, buildings and structures where there are hazardous chemicals.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Annual. In the case of security sensitive dangerous substances, notification is valid for 5 years.


Expires on 1 September each year.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Act(s) name

Work Health and Safety Act 2011 NSW

Regulation(s) name

Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017 NSW

Application process


You must include details and a sketch of your site and its location as well as details of which dangerous goods are to be held on the premises.

If the premises are in a rural fire district you must submit a written emergency plan and provide a copy to NSW Fire Brigades or the NSW Rural Fire Service. This plan must include your WorkCover dangerous goods notification number on the plan and has to be reviewed every five years.


Your application must be lodged at an Australia Post Office that has bill-pay facilities.

Administering agency

Department of Finance, Services and Innovation

SafeWork NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Licensing Enquiries

SafeWork NSW

Department of Finance, Services and Innovation

Operating address: 92 - 100 Donnison Street
Gosford, New South Wales 2250
Mailing address: LOCKED BAG 2906
Lisarow, New South Wales 2250
Phone: 13 10 50
Website: SafeWork NSW (Opens in new window)