You will require a permit to own a dog that is either:
- declared dangerous or menacing
- six months or older and is a restricted breed.
A dog can be declared as dangerous by an authorised council officer or a local court because it has done any of the following:
- attacked or killed a person or animal without provocation
- repeatedly threatened to attack or repeatedly chased a person or animal without provocation
- is kept or used for hunting (not including a dog used for locating, flushing, pointing or retrieving birds or vermin).
The following breeds are restricted:
- American pitbull terrier
- Pitbull Terrier
- Japanese tosa
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Brasileiro
- Perro de Presa Canario
- Presa Canario.