** Scheduled maintenance **

We’ll be updating this tool between 7 am and 11 am on 20 July 2024 (AEST). During this time, this website will be unavailable

Voluntary Out-of-Home Care Agency Registration - New South Wales


You will need this registration if you intend to provide voluntary out-of-home care services for children and young people.

Out-of-home care programs provide care to children and young people who may not be able to live safely at home or who have been placed in someone else's care by the NSW Children's Court (statutory out-of-home care) or by the parents (voluntary out-of-home care).

There are two types of out-of-home care services that require accreditation / registration:

  • Statutory out-of-home care is provided to children and young people for at least 14 days when the Children's Court makes an order, or the young person is designated a 'protected person'. This will require accreditation.
  • Voluntary out-of-home care is arranged between a parent and an organisation when there are no concerns for the child's safety. This will require registration.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for registration, you must:

  • be an entity (individual person such as a sole trader is not eligible to apply)
  • submit to a full review of your voluntary out-of-home care policies and procedures.


Ongoing eligibility requirements

As a registered voluntary out-of-home care provider, you must comply with all the conditions of registration issued by the Office of the Children's Guardian.


The registration for voluntary out-of-home care services is not time limited.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Application process


You can apply to the New South Wales Office of the Children's Guardian for registration to provide and / or arrange voluntary out-of-home care services.

Registration is granted when you meet the compliance requirements following a review of out voluntary out-of-home care policies and procedures.

Administering agency

NSW Office of the Children's Guardian

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.