Permit to Keep Prohibited Wildlife - Northern Territory


You will need to apply for a permit to keep prohibited wildlife in captivity in the Northern Territory.

Prohibited entrants or animals include all wildlife not native to the Northern Territory and all exotic wildlife that is not native to Australia. Wildlife includes plants and animals as well as deceased animals and parts of an individual such as skulls and seeds. 

For more information and information on exemptions, please contact the department.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply for a permit to keep prohibited animals you will need to buy the animal from a lawful source. Applicants who purchase animals from pet shops or existing permit holders must apply for a permit to keep within 7 days of the purchase and provide copies of proof of purchase.

For more information on eligibility, please contact the department.



Act(s) name

Territory Parks & Wildlife Conservation Act 1976 Northern Territory

Additional information

This permit can't be transferred if you give the animal away.

For more information, please contact the department.

Administering agency

Department of Tourism, Sport and Culture

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Permits Office

Department of Tourism, Sport and Culture

Operating address: Level 1 JHV2
356 Bagot Road
Millner NT 0810
Mailing address: PO Box 1448
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 0889994795
Fax: 0889994524
Website: (Opens in new window)