Permit to Take or Interfere With Wildlife to Undertake Scientific Research - Northern Territory


You will require this permit if you intend to watch, collect, survey, measure, assess or monitor wildlife in the wild for scientific research.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a permit to take or interfere with wildlife for scientific purposes you will need:
  • written permission from the landholder or lands authority.
  • permission from the land council if you are on Aboriginal land.


As required.

Act(s) name

Territory Parks & Wildlife Conservation Act 1976 Northern Territory

Approval time

A minimum of four weeks may be required to process your application.

Additional information

If you are researching or collecting flora or fauna in parks and reserves you will need to sign the special conditions form at the end of the permit application form.

If you are researching vertebrates you will need an approval letter from an approved animal ethics committee.

You may need to enter into a benefit sharing agreement where the research involves, or has the potential to involve, bioprospecting.

Administering agency

Department of Tourism, Sport and Culture

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Permits Office

Department of Tourism, Sport and Culture

Operating address: Level 1 JHV2
356 Bagot Road
Millner NT 0810
Mailing address: PO Box 1448
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 0889994795
Fax: 0889994524
Website: (Opens in new window)