Petroleum Pipeline Licence - Coastal Waters - Northern Territory


You will be required to apply for this licence if you intend to construct and operate a petroleum pipeline in the three nautical mile strip of Northern Territory coastal waters. Petroleum means any naturally occurring oil or gas. A petroleum pipeline conveys petroleum at high-pressure.

This licence only grants a right over the area you intend to construct the pipeline and is not a licence to actually construct the pipeline. You need separate consents and management plans to construct and operate a pipeline.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply for this licence you must:

  • have adequate financial resources
  • have adequate technical resources and technical advice available.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All Fee information is in the attached fee resource.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Petroleum Titles Fees and Rents (Opens in new window)

Application process


Please submit your completed application form with the following documentation:

  • a full technical and engineering details about the design and construction of the pipeline
  • a map of the proposed route and licence area, pipeline corridors, location of proposed equipment installation, and land required for access
  • details of existing or proposed land access agreements
  • name and address of anyone who could be affected by the pipeline or access requirements, including any agreements or arrangements
  • proof you have the technical ability to undertake the project
  • proof you have the financial capacity to undertake the project.

Additional information

Before you apply for a licence you must identify the proposed pipeline route and access points along it including sites for equipment and other works.

You will need to negotiate any land access you might need with the landowner prior to submitting your application. If you are unable come to an access agreement with the landowner or leaseholder, you can apply for a permit which will allow you to enter land for pipeline route investigations.

All applications are advertised by the agency. The agency will arrange the advertisement, but you will be responsible for the cost.

Administering agency

Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade

Energy Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Petroleum Registrar

Energy Division

Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade

Operating address: Fourth Floor, Centrepoint Building
48-50 Smith Street Mall
Darwin NT 0800
Mailing address: GPO BOX 4550
Darwin, Northern Territory 0801
Phone: 08 8999 7112
Fax: 08 8999 5191