Planning Approval - Northern Territory


You may need planning approval if you intend to build, renovate or change the use of your land.

For example, you may need planning approval to:

  • build something - e.g. apartments or office blocks
  • change the use of land or a building
  • carry out works - e.g. earthworks involving excavation or fill
  • change the layout of a lot - e.g. subdivision or consolidation.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


A planning certificate is considered proof of fact at the time of issue.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $133.00

Per lot. Fees for 2021-22


Regulation(s) name

Planning Regulations 2000 Northern Territory

Application process


You can apply for a planning certificate through the 'Development Applications Online' website.

Approval time

The processing time can vary considerably, based on the location and complexity of the search.

Administering agency

Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Development Assessment Services

Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics

Northern Territory
Website: Contact a Planner (Opens in new window)