Accommodation approval - Murweh Shire Council - Queensland


You need this approval to establish a rental accommodation business. Examples of rental accommodation businesses may include:

  • flats
  • motels
  • backpacker's accommodation
  • holiday cabins.

You will not require this approval if you operate a short-term accommodation business. Short-term accommodation refers to temporary accommodation at the owner's residential premises for less than three consecutive months which may contain a manager's residence, office, or recreation facilities for the exclusive use of guests. You may rent out all or part of a premises for short-term accommodation.

Short-term accommodation includes both premises where the owner does not reside on the property and premises where the owner does reside on the property (home based business).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You will not require this approval if you intend on establishing either a:

  • hospital, nursing home, or other institution where people are cared for on a live-in basis
  • residential college or boarding school
  • religious institution
  • community titles scheme
  • accommodation administered under the residential services legislation
  • private home in which you provide accommodation for no more than three boarders
  • premises that local law policies exclude from licensing requirements.

Eligibility requirements

You may also require development approval if you are also conducting the following activities:

  • starting a new rental accommodation
  • changing the existing activity (e.g. from private residence to rental accommodation)
  • re-establishing rental accommodation that was abandoned
  • changing the intensity of rental accommodation (e.g. adding extra rooms)
  • carrying out building work
  • carrying out plumbing or drainage work.

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 2009 Queensland

Application process


Include the following items with your application:

  • a plan of the premises
  • details of any shared accommodation facilities
  • other information and materials required by council.

Additional information

Your permit may be issued with conditions that require you to:

  • limit the number of persons in the premises (or in a particular part of the premises) for whom you may provide accommodation
  • carry out modifications, or other building work related to the premises, within a certain period
  • regularly maintain the premises
  • provide and maintain facilities, furniture and equipment
  • regularly clean the premises
  • regularly provide clean linen and towels, if relevant to your accommodation
  • provide services of specific kinds for the persons using your accommodation
  • reside, or have a council-approved representative reside, on the premises
  • keep specified records.

If your rental accommodation includes a swimming pool it must meet the requirements of the Queensland Development Code.

Administering agency

Murweh Shire Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Murweh Shire Council

Operating address: 95-101 Alfred Street
Charleville, Queensland 4470
Mailing address: PO BOX 63
Charleville, Queensland 4470
Phone: 07 4656 8355
Fax: 07 4656 8399
Website: Murweh Shire Council (Opens in new window)