This support is provided to increase awareness and assist industries, employers and others achieve effective health and safety management and comply with obligations placed on them by the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) provides expertise on work related health and safety issues. The focus of advice relates to obligations that employers and other workplace participants have with respect to workplace health and safety.
- investigate notifiable incidents
- investigate complaints relating to workplaces
- perform a workplace audit to determine obligation holders' ability to ensure the health and safety of those in the workplace
- collaborate with industry to develop increased awareness of workplace health and safety.
WHSQ will provide:
- specific information on the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 and Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011 and licences covered by this legislation
- advice on legislation, industry codes of practice, ergonomics, occupational hygiene matters and information products put out by WHSQ dealing specifically with workplaces
- information sessions and workplace consultations for small and medium enterprises.
Officers from WHSQ will undertake investigations on occasions, and when health and safety concerns are identified, officers may utilise a number of enforcement strategies under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011. Business and industry can receive preparation advice to ensure the workplace meets its obligations prior to an inspector audit.