Tramways are regulated to ensure that:
- they are maintained and operated in accordance with appropriate safety standards
- the council and the public are protected against loss or damage resulting from the operation of tramways
- the use of a tramway does not unreasonably disrupt or interfere with the use of roads and other infrastructure by the public.
Council may approve a tramway under conditions including:
- compliance with specified safety requirements
- the operator to carries out specified work (which may include specified earthwork or drainage work)
- the installation of traffic control devices, cattle grids and other equipment incidental to the proper operation of the tramway
- that work carried out under the permit, and materials used for the purpose of the work, comply with specified quality standards and other specification
- the proper maintenance of the track and other tramway infrastructure
- reasonable speed limits on locomotives and rolling stock.