The object of this Act is to ensure that a person is entitled to receive, and is able to recover, progress payments if the person
- undertakes to carry out construction work under a construction contract; or
- undertakes to supply related goods and services under a construction contract.
The objectives are achieved by:
- granting an entitlement to progress payments whether or not the relevant contract makes provision for progress payments; and
- establishing a procedure that involves:
- the making of a payment claim by the person claiming payment; and
- the provision of a payment schedule by the person by whom the payment is payable; and
- the referral of a disputed claim, or a claim that is not paid, to an adjudicator for decision; and
- the payment of the progress payment decided by the adjudicator.
The Act binds all persons, including the State and, as far as the legislative power of the Parliament permits, the Commonwealth and the other States.