Brisbane City Council is responsible for administering the requirements of the Queensland Government Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008.
Registration: Queensland Government legislation requires dogs to:
- be registered by the time they are 12 weeks old
- have their registration transferred within 14 days of moving to Brisbane.
Microchipping: Dogs must be microchipped when:
- sold (seller responsibility)
- given away (responsibility on the person giving away the animal)
- before reaching the age of 12 weeks .
If your dog is over 12 weeks old and you are not selling or giving it away, you don't need to microchip it.
A licence is required when keeping a dog which is released on commercial premises without a handler, for the purpose or apparent purpose of acting as a deterrent to intruders.