Holiday and short-term rentals (Brisbane) - Queensland


Brisbane City Plan 2014 (City Plan) has provisions for all types of short-term rentals and the assessment of a proposal considers the potential impacts on the immediate neighbourhood. City Plan ensures that the temporary accommodation is of a scale and occupancy turnover that is compatible with community expectations in the immediate neighbourhood.

City Plan provides the requirements for the establishment and continuation of the use of the dwelling but does not offer insurance or any other form of protection for home owners who are renting out a dwelling or rooms, or for the renters.

Home-based business

The short-term rental of a room/s in a house or unit, such as bed and breakfast, is defined as a 'home-based business'. A home-based business providing temporary accommodation must be subsidiary to the principal residential use. To see if you need to lodge an application with Council, you can assess your home-based business proposal using criteria outlined in Section 9.3.10 Home based business code in City Plan. Small establishments that do not impact on neighbours will generally meet these criteria. For a quick guide see Council's City Plan fact sheet for residents (Home-based businesses).

Short-term accommodation

The short-term rental of an entire dwelling house or unit by the property owner is unlikely to be a subsidiary to the residential use of the property. This would likely constitute a 'short-term accommodation' and require development approval from Council. In this context, City Plan defines 'short-term' as typically a stay of less than three consecutive months.

The development application is assessed by Council against Section 9.3.22 Short-term accommodation code in City Plan. Short-term accommodation is primarily supported in centre zones or located near tourist, cultural or shopping and leisure facilities. There are no public notification requirements for the application process for sites in centre zones, higher destiny residential areas and in some low-medium density areas located on arterial or suburban roads City Plan primarily ensures that adjoining residents or businesses are not significantly impacted by the use.

If a residential ease is for a longer period (over three consecutive months) the use is defined as a dwelling house, dual occupancy or a multiple dwelling, depending on the number of separate households on the premises. If the residential use involves individual rooms leased separately to different people it is defined as rooming accommodation. You can find further information about rooming accommodation on Council's website.

Service type

Advisory Material

Advisory material provides advice and guidance in undertaking a business.

Additional information

Not all temporary accommodation needs Council approval. If you are proposing a home-based business use, a PD Online property enquiry can help you determine if the proposal requires Council approval. You can also phone Council on (07) 3403 8888 during business hours and ask to speak to a town planner.

While Council aims to assist you through the process, you may wish to engage a consultant, town planner, surveyor or other appropriately qualified professional for help with you building or development project.

For help with preparing an application, go to Council's website and search 'Preparing an application'.

Administering agency

Brisbane City Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Brisbane City Council

Mailing address: GPO Box 1434
Queensland 4001
Phone: 07 3403 8888
Website: Brisbane City Council (Opens in new window)
Website: Business centre locations and opening hours (Opens in new window)