Market food stall - Brisbane - Queensland


If you want to run a stall temporarily to prepare, or handle unpackaged food, for retail sale, you will generally need a food business licence. Even if your food business has a food business licence for a fixed premises or manufacturing facility, you will require a separate temporary food stall licence for the market stall if the food is unpackaged, or if further handling occurs.

Examples of unpackaged food or handled food that needs a licence include:

  • cutting fruit and vegetables

  • fruit or vegetable juice processed at the place of sale

  • sausage sizzle or barbecue

  • cakes or biscuits with dairy fillings or icings

  • unpackaged takeaway food such as hamburgers, hot dogs, pizzas, hot chips or curry

  • unpackaged cooked pasta or lasagne

  • unpackaged yoghurt

  • unpackaged food for taste testing

  • any other unpackaged food, unless included in the exemptions 

For more information on Market food stall please visit Brisbane City Council

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You can obtain a schedule of fees from council. Fees and conditions are subject to change. To ensure that you receive the most accurate information, refer to council website.

Additional information

When a licence is not needed - please go to Brisbane City Council

Administering agency

Brisbane City Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Brisbane City Council

Mailing address: GPO Box 1434
Queensland 4001
Phone: 07 3403 8888
Website: Brisbane City Council (Opens in new window)
Website: Business centre locations and opening hours (Opens in new window)