Overseas Qualification Unit - Assessment of Overseas Qualifications - Queensland


This support service is provided to maximise the utilisation of skills within Queensland's workforce.

The unit provides a general academic assessment for Queensland residents who hold post-secondary school qualifications completed overseas. The assessment gives an indication of the overseas qualification's general educational comparability in Australian terms.  It is not an occupational assessment but can assist employers to understand the level of the overseas qualification in Australian terms.

This service is provided using national assessment guidelines developed and published by the International Education Division of the Australian Government Department of Education and Training.

Service type

Support Service

A service offered by government to aid in running a business.

Eligibility requirements

For assessment of overseas academic qualifications, you must:

  • hold a completed qualification which resulted in the issuing of an award and; be a Queensland resident and;
  • be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of Australia or
  • be a temporary resident who has permission to work or study in Australia.

Applicants whose qualifications are not listed in the national assessment guidelines, may be referred to other assessing bodies or other processes such as Recognition of Prior Learning or by Credit Transfer.

Please note that applicants who reside overseas or those on a tourist visa who wish to have their qualifications assessed as part of an application for migration should contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for further information.


The unit offers a free assessment service for Queensland residents.

The International Education Division of the Australian Government Department of Education and Training charges a fee to assess overseas qualifications.

Applicants who require an assessment of trade skills may be referred to Trades Recognition Australia who charge a fee for occupational skills assessment.  Trade level applicants should also consider Recognition of Prior Learning through a Registered Training Organisation who charge a fee for the service.

Publications Details process

  • Vocational Education and Training (Commonwealth Powers) Act 2012

Additional information

Which qualifications can be assessed?

Formal completed qualifications gained overseas and awarded by recognised educational institutions can be assessed for comparability with Australian qualifications.

To apply for an assessment applicants must complete the application form and provide certified copies of required documentation referred to on page 2 of the application form.

The unit cannot assess trade level qualifications.  Applicants who require an assessment of trade skills should contact Trades Recognition Australia for information about occupational assessments and may also wish to consider Recognition of Prior Learning through a Registered Training Organisation.

Administering agency

Department of Education

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Department of Education

Phone: 1300 369 935