Councils regulate pet shops in order to:
- protect the amenity of the local environment
- ensure that animals are kept and used in a way that is consistent with the rights and expectations of the local community
- prevent pollution and other environmental damage resulting from the keeping of animals.
Conditions of approval
Council may approve a permit under certain conditions, including:
- At any time during the term (without the need for notice) an authorised person may
- inspect the premises specified in the application
- inspect any records you, and/or the owner of the premises and/or the owner of the pet shop hold that relate to operating the pet shop
- seize and impound any animal if you (or anyone else) breach the terms of the permit.
- You must comply with any representation or statement contained in the original permit application.
- At all times, you must maintain the pet shop in good order and in a clean and sanitary condition, including
- thoroughly cleaning the enclosures each day and disinfecting them at least once a week to minimise disease
- not keeping any sick or ailing animal on the premises.
Under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 pet shops, as suppliers of cats and dogs, must microchip cats and dogs before they are given away or sold to new owners.
A voluntary Queensland Code of Practice for Pet Shops provides guidelines for the care and management of cats, dogs and other animals sold through pet shops. The voluntary code of practice is available online from the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries' website.
If you modify, update or otherwise change the premises, then you must prove to the local council that:
- all floors are smooth, free from cracks and other defects and covered with a suitable non slip finish
- ceilings are smooth, rigid, and free from cracks, crevices and other defects
- the internal surfaces of walls are free from cracks, crevices and defects
- fixtures, fittings and appliances are impervious, durable, resistant to corrosion, free from cracks/crevices and capable of being easily cleaned.