Under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008; pet shops, as suppliers of cats and dogs, must microchip cats and dogs before they are given away or sold to new owners.
A voluntary Queensland Code of Practice for Pet Shops provides guidelines for the care and management of cats, dogs and other animals sold through pet shops. The voluntary code of practice is available online from the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries' website.
Under the Local Law 2009 and the Subordinate Local Law 2009 (consolidated version 2009):
- Food must be stored in vermin proof containers.
- All excreta, soiled bedding and other waste must be collected at least once each day and disposed of in a manner which will not
- cause environmental harm; or
- become a breeding place for flies; or
- cause an odour nuisance; or
- endanger the health or safety of any person.
- Cages and containers used for keeping animals must be cleaned and disinfected daily.
- The animals must not cause a nuisance of any kind to the occupiers of neighbouring premises.
- Premises must be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition at all times.
Additional conditions for dogs:
- A dog must not be sold unless
- it is registered with council; or
- the name and address of the purchaser, a description of the dog, and the date of sale are recorded and sent to the council.
- A dog must not be sold unless it has been fully vaccinated appropriate to its age.
Councils regulate pet shops in order to:
- protect the amenity of the local environment
- ensure that animals are kept and used in a way that is consistent with the rights and expectations of the local community
- prevent pollution and other environmental damage resulting from the keeping of animals.
If you modify, update, alter otherwise change the premises, then you must prove to the council that:
- all floors are smooth, free from cracks and other defects and covered with a suitable non slip finish
- ceilings are smooth, rigid and free from cracks, crevices and other defects
- the internal surfaces of walls are free from cracks, crevices and other defects
- fixtures, fittings and appliances are impervious, durable, resistant to corrosion, free from cracks/crevices and capable of being easily cleaned.