Plumbing and Draining Registration - Queensland


You require this licence to perform plumbing/drainage work in accordance with the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002 (Qld), the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld), the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld) and the Plumbing and Drainage (Transitional) Regulation 2014.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld) sets out the qualifications and practical experience required for the different types of plumbers and drainers licences issued. This information has been provided in the fact sheet "Plumbers and Drainers Licences".


A plumbers, drainers or restricted licence can vary from 12 months to 5 years.


Application process

You can apply for a licence by submitting the following items to the Queenland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC):

  • Application for a licence (Form 21)
  • proof of identity
  • satisfactory evidence of your relevant qualifications and practical experience
  • the fee, as set under the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld)
  • any other documents that the approved form requires, and
  • if you are licensed by an interstate or New Zealand licensing authority, written details of any conditions of your licence.

The fees are set out in Schedule 4 of the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld).

Licensing fees are payable at the time of submitting an application.

Before deciding the application the QBCC may investigate the applicant, request further information or require the applicant to undergo a written, oral or practical examination.


This licence cannot be transferred.

Additional information

  • a licensee may have conditions set on the licence which prevent the licensee from carryout out certain work.
  • a licensee may have had a licence suspended or cancelled through disciplinary action taken by the PIC.
  • an interstate licencsee must hold a Qld licence to be able to perform regulated work in Qld.
  • a licensee licensed in another State or Territory may apply for a Qld licence under Mutual Recognition legislation.

Application must be made in person. Faxed applications will not be accepted.

Administering agency

Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Customer Contact Centre

Queensland Building and Construction Commission

Operating address: 299 Montague Road
West End
Queensland 4101
Mailing address: GPO Box 5099
Queensland 4001
Phone: 139 333
Fax: 07 3225 2999
Website: Queensland Building and Construction Commission (Opens in new window)