Register as a Biosecurity Entity - Queensland


If you own or keep any of the following in Queensland, you must be registered as a biosecurity entity:

1 or more:

  • cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, bison, buffalo, deer OR

  • alpacas, llamas, or other animals from the Camelidae family OR

  • horses, ponies, donkeys, mules, zebras, or other animals from the Equidae family.

100 or more birds that:

  • are raised for human consumption (e.g. poultry) OR

  • are raised for the production of eggs for human consumption (e.g. poultry) OR

  • have been released into free flight since they started being kept in captivity (e.g. pigeons)

1 or more beehives.

You must be registered even if you don't own the land where you keep your animals, for example, if:

  • you are a lessee

  • your animals are agisted on someone else's land

  • you keep beehives on someone else's land.

A person, persons or organisation can be registered as a biosecurity entity.

If you held a property identification code (PIC) on 30 June 2016, you may already be registered as a biosecurity entity.

Find out how to check if you have been registered.

If you meet the registration requirements you must be registered to comply with the Biosecurity Act 2014.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Registration is valid for 3 years from the date you apply.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Miscellaneous All

Check fees

Application process

To register for the first time, you need to apply for registration as a biosecurity entity.

Additional information

You will still need a Property Identification Code (PIC) to purchase devices from the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) and to access other national industry systems such as vendor declarations/waybills. If you do not own the property where your animals are kept, you will need to get authorisation from the property owner to use their PIC to access these systems. The property owner will need to complete the relevant section of your application to become an RBE.

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

Biosecurity Queensland

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Customer Service Centre

Biosecurity Queensland

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

Phone: 13 25 23