Residential Services Registration and Accreditation Queensland - Queensland


You must apply for registration before you provide residential services in the form of a privately-owned boarding house, supported accommodation hostel or aged rental accommodation.

Within three months of registration, you must apply for accreditation. You can apply for three levels of accreditation:

  • Level 1 Accommodation service
  • Level 2 Food service
  • Level 3 Personal care service.

All providers must apply for Level 1 accreditation. To obtain accreditation, you must show that your residential service meets minimum standards for each accreditation level.

Your application may be as an individual or a corporation.  You may also choose to have an associate operate the service on your behalf.

Find out more about registering a residential service.

Service type

Regulatory Obligation

An obligation defined in law. A business must comply with relevant services.

Eligibility requirements

To register your residential service, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • not have been declared bankrupt, or been convicted of a disqualifying offence within the last 5 years.

Corporations are only eligible if they have not gone into receivership or liquidation, had an executive declare bankruptcy, or been convicted of a disqualifying offence within the last 5 years.


You only need to register your residential service once, and you do not have to renew it unless your registration is cancelled. Accreditation is granted for a period of up to three years depending upon the number of accreditation standards met.

Application process


Find our more about registering a residential service.

Applying for accreditation

Once you have registered your residential service, you need to apply for accreditation within 3 months of the registration date. You will be sent an accreditation application kit, which includes a self-assessment checklist and a list of documents required to be lodged.  To apply for accreditation, you will need to complete an Application for accreditation of a residential service (Form 2)

Renewing accreditation

You must lodge an application to renew your accreditation before the accreditation period expires, but not more than 3 months before the expiry date.


Register as the new service provider of an existing residential service (also see under Application)

If there is a change of service provider (i.e. the sale of the business or a new partner) in relation to a registered residential service, a notification of the change is required.

You must complete an Application to become a registered service provider of a currently registered residential service (change of service provider) - Residential Services (Form 4).

Commencement of an associate (including adding or changing) (also see under Application)

An associate can be a person who is employed to manage the day to day operation of the business and who makes decisions on behalf of the service provider. This person can also be an executive officer of the corporation who is the service provider.

To add or change an associate, you must provide the following within 30 days of the person becoming an associate a completed Notification of commencement of an associate (Form 6).

Administering agency

Department of Housing and Public Works

Regulatory Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Department of Housing and Public Works

Mailing address: GPO BOX 690
Brisbane, Queensland 4001
Phone: 07 3008 3450
Website: Department of Housing and Public Works (Opens in new window)