Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 - Queensland


The Residential Tenancy Authority's (RTA) core responsibility is to administer the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 in Queensland.

The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 (the Act) defines the rights and responsibilities of tenants, lessors and agents for residential tenancies; and residents, providers and agents for rooming accommodation in Queensland.

The Act commenced on 1 July 2009 and replaced the repealed Residential Tenancies Act 1994 and the Residential Services (Accommodation) Act 2002.

The following tenancy guides and information is available on the RTA website:

  • Pocket guide for tenants - houses and units (Form 17a)
  • Pocket guide for tenants - caravan parks (Form 17b)
  • Pocket guide for tenants - houses and units (Form 17a) translated into 6 languages (Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese & Arabic)
  • Managing general tenancies in Queensland
  • Managing caravan park tenancies in Queensland
  • Managing rooming accommodation in Queensland
  • Easy guide for residents - rooming accommodation
  • Know the rules - renting mini-guides in 9 languages (English, Tamil, Swahili, Somali, Dinka, Karen, Kirundi, Farsi & Dari)
  • Postcard series:  Know where you stand (tenants, Indigenous people & students) and Knowing tenancy law is a smart investment (Landlords) and Tenancy matters (corporate)
  • Fact sheets

Service type

Regulatory Obligation

An obligation defined in law. A business must comply with relevant services.

Lodgement process



Complaints about offences under the Act may be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority. These are investigated by authorised officers of the RTA and may lead to prosecution action in a Magistrates Court or an infringement notice. There is a range of fines for non-compliance by any party who breaches the provisions of the Act. There is an avenue of appeal against a decision through the District Court or against an infringement notice through the Magistrates Court.

Dispute Resolution:

Tenancy disputes about agreements are civil matters. Where a dispute between parties to an agreement has been lodged with the RTA, conciliation may be arranged by the RTA's Dispute Resolution Service.

Where agreement cannot be reached over a tenancy dispute, either party may apply for a hearing in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal. Applications for matters defined in the Act as urgent can be made directly to the Tribunal.

Review or Appeal Mechanisms:

Not applicable.

Administering agency

Residential Tenancies Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.