Visitor's Licence (Weapons) - Queensland


You require this licence if you are a visitor from overseas and you wish to possess or use weapons in Queensland. This licence is also required to enable interstate licence holders to possess or use weapons for purposes that are not recognised under temporary recognition.

Those from interstate who do not require a visitors' licence include:

  • sports or target shooting;

  • recreational shooting with category A and B firearms;

  • occupational for rural purposes with category A, B and C firearms.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

This licence remains in effect for the duration of a visit up to three months.

What are the prerequisites to obtaining this authority?

You must have an appropriate licence from a State (other than Queensland) or Territory of the Commonwealth or another Country.

You must provide details of the reason for possessing weapons in Queensland and an itinerary.

You must also provide details of any weapon/s being brought into the country from overseas.

If you do not have a licence you will need to have a police certification and clearance certificate completed.

This licence remains in effect for the duration of a visit up to three months.

Application process

You can obtain this licence by submitting a completed form "Application for a visitor's licence" to the Weapons Licensing Branch, Queensland Police Service.

You can obtain copies of these forms and information on fees from the Weapons Licensing Branch on the contact details below.


You cannot transfer this licence.

Additional information

This licence may only be issued:

  1. for an activity that is a reason for possession of a weapon under section 11 of the Act; and

  1. for a firearm or type of firearm

  1. you, as the visitor, are entitled to possess and use in the State or country where you usually reside; and

  1. to you, as the visitor, when you could obtain a Queensland licence, other than a visitor's licence, authorising possession and use to the extent, and for the activity, stated on the licence.

You may be required to provide a permit for the Australian Customs Service if you are importing weapons. The permit is available from the Weapons Licensing Branch.

Administering agency

Queensland Police Service

Weapons Licensing

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Senior Sergeant

Weapons Licensing

Queensland Police Service

Operating address: Floor 7, 46 Charlotte Street
Queensland 4000
Mailing address: GPO Box 892
Queensland 4001
Phone: 07 3015 7777
Fax: 07 3015 7788
Website: Queensland Police Service (Opens in new window)