Water Carrier Licence and Water Tanker Approval - Fraser Coast Regional Council - Queensland


You need a food licence to carry on a business where you:

  • use a water tanker to distribute water for domestic purposes (e.g. human consumption, food preparation, washing or other domestic activities)
  • sell water to a place within the council area.

You must gain council approval for all tankers you use to distribute the water.

Council may grant a food licence if satisfied that:

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Application process

Contact council for more information on the current application process and relevant form.

Additional information

Council regulates the drawing and cartage of water with food licences in order to:

  • ensure that water supplied by water tankers for domestic consumption or use is of suitable quality.

  • protect from contamination both water supplied and the water supply from which this water is taken.

Council may grant food licences based on the following conditions:


  • restricts the sources of supply from which you may take water for your business,

  • restricts or prevents using water tankers for any purposes other than domestic water distribution.


  • only distribute water in your business that is fit for human consumption and complies the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 6 (2011) and/or the World Health Organisation Guidelines for drinking water quality

  • take samples of water periodically, analyse the bacteriological content and provide council with the results of the analysis

  • maintain the interior of each water tank in a clean and hygienic condition, free from rust and foreign matter

  • display the permit number and water tanker approval number the Council issues you on each water tank, with the letters and numbers not less than 75mm in height

  • display the trading name and telephone number of the water carrier on the tank, with the letters not less than 75mm in height

  • take reasonable steps to prevent contamination of any source of supply, distribution tank and receptacle into which you transfer water.

Administering agency

Fraser Coast Regional Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Fraser Coast Regional Council

Operating address: 77 Tavistock Street
4655, Queensland 4655
Mailing address: PO BOX 1943
Hervey Bay, Queensland 4655
Phone: 1300 794 929
Fax: 07 4197 4455
Email: enquiry@frasercoast.qld.gov.au
Website: Fraser Coast Regional Council (Opens in new window)