Water Carrier Licence and Water Tanker Approval - Toowoomba Regional Council - Queensland


The cartage and sale of water for human consumption is a licensable food business and all water carriers are required to hold a food licence with council.

You need a food licence issues under the Food Act 2006, to carry on a business where you:

  • use a water tanker to distribute water for domestic purposes (e.g. human consumption, food preparation, washing food contact items or other domestic activities)

  • obtain potable water from an approved potable water source within the council area

  • sell water to a place within the council area, or Queensland

  • take water from the council's supply for commercial purposes.

You must gain council approval for all tankers you use to distribute the water. Tankers, including lining materials and fittings, must comply with the relevant Australian standards.

Council may grant a food licence if satisfied that:

Council regulates the drawing and cartage of water to:

  • ensure that water supplied by water tankers is suitable quality

  • protect from contamination both the water supplied and the water supply from which this water is taken.

Council may grant permits based on the following conditions:


  • restricts the sources of supply from which you may take water for your business

  • restricts or prevents using water tankers for any purposes other than potable water distribution.


  • only distribute water that is fit for human consumption and complies with the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 6 (2011) and/or the World Health Organisation Guidelines for drinking water quality

  • take samples of water periodically, analyse the microbiological content and provide Council with the results of the analysis

  • only take water from approved potable water sources

  • only use water tankers for the cartage of potable water

  • maintain the interior of each water tank in a clean and hygienic condition, free from rust and foreign matter

  • take reasonable steps to prevent contamination of any source of supply, distribution tank and receptacle into which you transfer water

  • display the licence number the council issues you on each water tank, with the letters and numbers not less than 100mm in height

  • display the trading name and telephone number of the water carrier on the tank, with the letters not less than 75mm in height

  • display the wording "DRINKING WATER ONLY" or "POTABLE WATER ONLY" not less than 150mm in height on the tank.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Application process

Contact council for more information on the current application process and relevant form.

Additional information

If you want to operate a mobile food business (water carrier) on a property on a stationary basis, prior to submitting your application you should ensure the site has relevant Development Approval to prevent the application being delayed.

Your mobile food premises (water carrier) must also be registered with the Department of Transport and Main Roads to operate.

Administering agency

Toowoomba Regional Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Toowoomba Regional Council

Operating address: 4 Little Street
Toowoomba, Queensland 4350
Mailing address: PO BOX 3021
Toowoomba, Queensland 4350
Phone: 13 18 72
Fax: 1800 448 882
Email: info@tr.qld.gov.au
Website: Toowoomba Regional Council (Opens in new window)