Water Carrier Permit and Water Tanker Approval (Goondiwindi) - Queensland


The cartage and sale of water for human consumption is a licensable food business and all water carriers are required to hold a food licence with council.
You need a food licence for a business where you:

  • use a water tanker to distribute water for domestic purposes (e.g. human consumption, food preparation, washing or other domestic activities)

  • obtain potable water from an approved potable water source within the council area

  • sell water to a place within the council area or anywhere else within Queensland

  • take water from the council's supply for commercial purposes.

You must gain council approval for all tankers you use to distribute the water. Tankers, including lining materials and fittings, must comply with the relevant Australian standards. 

Council may grant a food licence if satisfied that:

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Local law(s) name

Goondiwindi Regional Council - Local Law 13 (Domestic Water Carriers)

Application process

Contact council for more information on the current application process and relevant form.

Additional information

Council regulates the drawing and cartage of water to:

  • ensure that water supplied by water tankers for domestic consumption or use is of suitable quality
  • protect from contamination both water supplied and the water supply from which this water is taken.

Council may grant a food licence based on the following conditions:


  • restricts the sources of supply from which you may take water for your business
  • restricts or prevents using water tankers for any purposes other than domestic water distribution.


  • only distribute water in your business that is fit for human consumption and complies the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 6 (2011) and/or the World Health Organisation Guidelines for drinking water quality
  • take samples of water periodically, analyse the bacteriological content and provide Council with the results of the analysis
  • only take water from approved potable water sources
  • only use water tankers for the cartage of potable water
  • maintain the interior of each water tank in a clean and hygienic condition, free from rust and foreign matter
  • display the food licence number the Council issues you on three sides of each water tanker, with the letters and numbers not less than 100mm in height
  • display the trading name and telephone number of the water carrier on three sides of the tanker, with the letters not less than 100mm in height
  • display the wording "Drinking Water Only" or "Potable Water Only" on three sides of each water tanker, with the letter not less than 100mm in height
  • take reasonable steps to prevent contamination of any source of supply, distribution tank and receptacle into which you transfer water.

Administering agency

Goondiwindi Regional Council