Water cartage permit (Gold Coast) - Queensland


You need this permit to carry on a business where you:

  • use a water tanker to distribute water for domestic purposes (e.g. human consumption, food preparation, washing or other domestic activities),
  • obtain water from a source within the council area,
  • sell water to a place within the council area,
  • take water from the council's supply for commercial purposes.

You must gain council approval for all tankers you use to distribute the water.

Council may grant this permit if satisfied that:

  • the water you are distributing is of an appropriate quality for domestic purposes
  • your business complies with other criteria specified by local law policies.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Common All Water carriers information (Opens in new window)

Application process

To apply for this licence, you will need to complete an application form and submit it to council with the appropriate fee.


You cannot transfer this permit.

Additional information

The drawing and cartage of water is regulated to:

  • ensure that water supplied by water tankers for domestic consumption or use is of high quality
  • protect from contamination both water supplied and the water supply from which this water is taken.


Administering agency

City of Gold Coast

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

City of Gold Coast

Operating address: 135 Bundall Road
Queensland 4217
Mailing address: PO Box 5042
Gold Coast Mail Centre
Queensland 9729
Phone: 1300 694 222
Phone: 07 5582 8211
Fax: 07 5596 3653
Email: gcccmail@goldcoast.qld.gov.au
Website: Gold Coast City Council (Opens in new window)