Water cartage permit (Moreton Bay) - Queensland


You need this permit to carry on a business where you:

  • use a water tanker to distribute water for domestic purposes (e.g. human consumption, food preparation, washing or other domestic activities)
  • obtain water from a source within the council area
  • sell water to a place within the council area
  • take water from the water network supply for commercial purposes.

Unitywater may grant this permit if satisfied that:

  • the water you are distributing is of an appropriate quality for domestic purposes
  • your business complies with other criteria specified by local law policies.

You must gain Unitywater approval for all tankers you use to distribute the water.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Contact Unitywater to determine applicable fees.

Application process

Contact Unitywater for further information on the application process.

Additional information

Unitywater regulate the drawing and cartage of water to:

  • ensure that water supplied by water tankers for domestic consumption or use is of high quality and potable
  • protect from contamination both water supplied and the water supply from which this water is taken.

Unitywatermay grant permits based on the following conditions:


  • restricts the sources of supply from which you may take water for your business
  • restricts or prevents using water tankers for any purposes other than domestic water distribution.


  • only distribute water in your business that is fit for human consumption and complies with standards set by the relevant Local Law policy
  • take samples of water periodically, analyse the bacteriological and mineral content and provide Unitywater with the results of the analysis
  • only take water from sources specified in the permit
  • only supply water for domestic purposes that complies with the World Health Organisation 1995 guidelines and/or the National Health and Medical Research Council guidelines for drinking water quality
  • only use water tankers for water suitable for domestic purposes
  • maintain the interior of each water tank in a clean and hygienic condition, free from rust and foreign matter
  • display the permit number and water tanker approval number the Unitywater issues you on each water tank, with the letters and numbers not less than 75mm in height
  • display the trading name and telephone number of the water carrier on the tank, with the letters not less than 75mm in height
  • take reasonable steps to prevent contamination of any source of supply, distribution tank and receptacle into which you transfer water.

Administering agency


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.



Operating address: Ground Floor
33 King Street
Mailing address: PO Box 953
Phone: 07 5431 8333
Phone: 1300 086 489
Email: ask.us@unitywater.com
Website: Unitywater (Opens in new window)