Company trade contractor licence - Queensland


You require this licence if you are:

  • a building company acting as a contractor performing building work in Queensland where the value of work being performed (including labour and materials) is over $3,300.00 (including GST).
  • one of the following (regardless of the value of the work you undertake) :
  1. building design (all classes)
  2. fire protection (all classes)
  3. completed residential building inspection
  4. plumbing and/or drainage
  5. gas fitting
  6. site classifiers
  7. termite management.

Please note:

Unlicensed contractors are required to state in their advertisements for building work the value of work they are entitled to carry out without a licence.

Some examples of statements that comply with these requirements include:

  • cannot perform building work valued in excess of $3,300
  • cannot perform building work valued at more than $3,300
  • only work valued at $3,300 or less

A penalty applies for an unlicensed contractor who fails to make such a statement in an advertisement.

If an advertisement by an unlicensed person does not refer to any sort of building work, no statement is required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

You must provide evidence of:

  • Australian Securities and Investment Commission historical extract, no older than 30 days;
  • an appropriately licensed nominated supervisor; and
  • financial requirements.

These details are included in the application kit you can obtain from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.


This licence remains in effect for 12 months from the date of issue. Renewal notices are issued annually.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application Sole Trader, Partnership, Company, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other

Fees vary according to the turnover of the company.  All fees prescribed in the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Regulation 2013 (QBCC Regulation) and are reflected in QBCC's website information and the relevant application and renewal forms. 


You cannot transfer this licence.

Additional Information

A company performing building work must employ a nominated supervisor who is licensed in the same class of work which the company wants to carry out. If the nominated supervisor is not currently licensed in the same class of work they are required to apply for a licence by completing an individual application form - not attached.

Administering agency

Minister for Housing and Public Works

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Customer Contact Centre

Operating address: 299 Montague Road
West End
Queensland 4101
Mailing address: GPO Box 5099
Queensland 4001
Phone: 1300 272 272
Fax: 07 3225 2999
Website: Queensland Building and Construction Commission (Opens in new window)