You require this licence if you are:
- a building company acting as a contractor performing building work in Queensland where the value of work being performed (including labour and materials) is over $3,300.00 (including GST).
- one of the following (regardless of the value of the work you undertake) :
- building design (all classes)
- fire protection (all classes)
- completed residential building inspection
- plumbing and/or drainage
- gas fitting
- site classifiers
- termite management.
Unlicensed contractors are required to state in their advertisements for building work the value of work they are entitled to carry out without a licence.
Some examples of statements that comply with these requirements include:
- cannot perform building work valued in excess of $3,300
- cannot perform building work valued at more than $3,300
- only work valued at $3,300 or less
A penalty applies for an unlicensed contractor who fails to make such a statement in an advertisement.
If an advertisement by an unlicensed person does not refer to any sort of building work, no statement is required.