Keeping of animals other than dogs or cats (Southern Downs) - Queensland


You need a permit in order to keep a stallion or bull in a settled area. Settled areas are defined in Council's local law no. 1 (Administration).

The number of animals you may keep in a particular area depends on the size of your site. Keeping of animals must comply with local laws and councils planning scheme.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


All permits to keep a stallion or bull in a settled area expire on 30 June each year.


Contact council to determine applicable fees.

Additional Information

Council may consider the following factors in deciding whether to grant this licence:

  • the land's physical suitability for the proposed use
  • the structural suitability of enclosures in which you intend to keep animals
  • the likelihood of the animals causing nuisance, inconvenience or annoyance to the occupiers of adjoining land
  • the likely effect on the amenity of the surrounding area
  • the likely effect on the local environment and any possible pollution or other environmental damage
  • other relevant factors to the circumstances of the particular case.


For legislation and regulation information, visit in new window)

Administering agency

Southern Downs Regional Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Operating address: 64 Fitzroy Street
Warwick, Queensland 4370
Mailing address: PO BOX 26
Warwick, Queensland 4370
Phone: 07 4661 0300
Fax: 07 4661 0333
Website: Southern Downs Regional Council (Opens in new window)