Marine Parks Commercial Activity Permissions - Queensland


This permit is required to carry out commercial and developmental activities in Queensland marine parks (including whale watching).

It is not required for fishing, boating, limited collecting, etc.

In general, permits are required for commercial tourism, any development works, mariculture and commercial collecting, within Queensland marine parks (including whale watching).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

Applicants should contact the Department prior to submitting an application. A pre-lodgement meeting or discussion is recommended.


This permit remains in effect for up to 6 years depending on the type of permit and whether a permit for the operation has been issued previously.


You can obtain information on fees from the department's website.


This permit cannot be transferred. However, in cases where ownership of a business changes, reissue of a similar permit can generally be arranged.

Additional Information

In the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area the permit is normally issued jointly by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and the Department.  In State Marine Parks the permit is issued by the Department. Zoning information and zoning plans are available from the Queensland Government legislation website.

Administering agency

Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service

Mailing address: PO Box 15187
Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
Website: Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing (Opens in new window)