Plumbing and Draining Registration - Queensland


You require this licence to perform plumbing/drainage work in accordance with the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002 (Qld), the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld), the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld) and the Plumbing and Drainage (Transitional) Regulation 2014.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

The Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (Qld) sets out the qualifications and practical experience required for the different types of plumbers and drainers licences issued. This information has been provided in the fact sheet "Plumbers and Drainers Licences".


A plumbers, drainers or restricted licence can vary from 12 months to 5 years.


Common Fees details for this service in table format.

Type Amount Description
Application $135.20

A plumbers licence or drainers licence under section 36 of the Act

Application $62.70

A provisional licence under section 36 of the Act

Application $27.00

A qualification to be assessed for equivalence under section 9 of the Act

Application $83.65

A restricted licence under section 36 of the Act

Application $14.75

An endorsement on a licence under sections 37(a) and 7 of the Act

Application $65.15

Cost of processing an application for a licence under section 42(3) of the Act

Application $71.35

Restoring a licence under section 52 of the Act

Application $62.70

Review of licence conditions under section 55(3)(b) of the Act

Miscellaneous $27.00

Certified copy of a licence under section 74 of the Act

Miscellaneous $27.00

Replacing a licence under section 73 of the Act

Renewal $71.35

Renewing a licence for each year of renewal under section 48 of the Act

Renewal $20.90

Renewing a retired persons licence under section 48(3) of the Act for 1 year


This licence cannot be transferred.

Additional Information

  • a licensee may have conditions set on the licence which prevent the licensee from carryout out certain work.
  • a licensee may have had a licence suspended or cancelled through disciplinary action taken by the PIC.
  • an interstate licencsee must hold a Qld licence to be able to perform regulated work in Qld.
  • a licensee licensed in another State or Territory may apply for a Qld licence under Mutual Recognition legislation.

Application must be made in person. Faxed applications will not be accepted.


For legislation and regulation information, visit in new window)

Administering agency

Minister for Housing and Public Works

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Customer Contact Centre

Operating address: 299 Montague Road
West End
Queensland 4101
Mailing address: GPO Box 5099
Queensland 4001
Phone: 1300 272 272
Fax: 07 3225 2999
Website: Queensland Building and Construction Commission (Opens in new window)