The object of the Act is to make provision for the conservation, preservation and protection of Queensland's cultural heritage.
The Act makes provision for the conservation of Queensland's cultural heritage by:
- establishing the Queensland Heritage Council
- establishing a register of places of cultural heritage significance
- regulating development of registered places
- providing for heritage agreements between the Minister and owners of registered places
- protecting and conserving submerged objects of cultural heritage significance
- regulating the excavation of sites that contain, or may contain, artefacts of cultural heritage significance
- protecting places of cultural heritage significance and providing appropriate powers of protection and enforcement.
Note: The Act does not cover issues relating to indigenous heritage.
The following Subordinate Legislation should be examined:
- Queensland Heritage Regulation 2003