Registration of a Motor Vehicle - Queensland


Any vehicle used on roads in Queensland, whether for private or commercial use, must be registered. If the vehicle is to be used mainly for commercial use, it should be recorded as commercial use for both registration and compulsory third party insurance.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements



You will be required to include the following documents with your initial application:



  • current Queensland safety certificate or certificate of inspection
  • compulsory third party insurance certificate (if applicable)
  • proof of identification (e.g. drivers licence and proof of company/business registration)
  • weighbridge certificate for large trailers (> 1.02t ATM) and motor vehicles over 4.5t (GVM)
  • gas certificate (if applicable)
  • registration certificate (second hand vehicles)/receipt for purchase of vehicle
  • proof of Queensland garaging address.


For vehicles over 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass (GVM) the registration is effective for 12, 6 or 3 months as chosen by the registered operator. For vehicles 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass or under, the registration is effective for 12 or 6 months as chosen by the registered operator. You will receive a renewal notice before the expiry of your current registration period. However, if you do not receive a renewal notice the non-receipt of the notice does not affect the expiry of the vehicles registration or your obligation to renew it before it expires, if you intend to use the vehicle on a road after the existing registration expires. When  the registration period selected is less than 12 months, a surcharge applies to cover the cost of the additional updating of the vehicle register and other costs associated with the production, manufacture and mailing of the additional registration renewal notice, certificate and label. If the payment submitted is less than the fee required, the number of days for which the vehicle is registered is amended to cover the shortfall in payment.


You can obtain a quote for new registration and renewal fees using the eQuote quote tool on the website at

Additional Information

Vehicles which you use mainly for commercial use and sometimes private use should be recorded as commercial use with the Department of Transport and Main Roads and your compulsory third party insurance company. There is a difference in the registration fee for private and commercial use, as well as a difference in the cost of compulsory third party insurance.

Administering agency

Department of Transport and Main Roads

Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division

Transport Regulation Branch